Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Martian baby at 27 weeks


Maybe we should stop referring to our unborn child as "the Martian baby", but since we don't really have another name picked out yet, and Nathan is pretty insistent that this baby IS the Martian baby, it will have to do for now.

 (Side note: Other names Nathan has suggested include: "Two", "Einstein", "Balooga", and "2S45" but by far the most common name he suggests is "Martian".  He always refers to this baby as "the Martian baby." For example if I tell him something is for the new baby in my tummy he'll say, "Oh, it's for the Martian baby?")

 Anyway, I had an MD appointment about a week ago and here are the stats:  The little Martian weighs approximately 2 lbs 5 oz (51 percentile) and appears very healthy.  We were especially excited to hear how much she weighs because Nathan, born at 29 weeks, weighed 2 lbs 1/2 oz (he was a little growth-restricted from the pre-eclampsia).  Another weight measurement that is not so exciting: Shannon now officially weighs more than Brigham.  Hummmm . . . .maybe I should think twice before opening a bag of chocolate chips without the intention of making cookies.....

By the way, this picture of a "martian baby" freaks me out, but Brigham thinks it's hilarious.  Sure hope my little Martian baby doesn't come out looking like this.

8 comments:

Maureen said...

I'm glad to hear that all is going well. Is the plan to go until you go into labor this time? Or are they going to induce you at 37 weeks if you don't have the baby by then like they did with Scarlet.

Maureen said...

Oops. That should be Scarlett.

Kallas Family said...

Hey finally an update!! I miss you guys so much!! How are you feeling? Hope all is well.

Shannon Stoker said...

Maur- Yeah, the plan is to go until I go into labor. I told the MD that the only thing I wanted to do differently this time was not to have a c-section scheduled at 37 weeks. They agreed that was a good plan. They said that since Scarlett was a vaginal birth and I went in to labor on my own that it really increased the odds of a good outcome this time....I hope so!
Kim-We miss you too! I'm really feeling well. Just big, big, big.

Brigham said...

To be fair to Shannon, it's not that hard to outweigh me.

Janelle said...

The martian baby is a little creepy!

The Harrises said...

Don't think twice about opening the chocolate chips! Are you crazy? This is the time to get away with it. So glad the martian is doing so well in her spaceship!

Team Draughon said...

Cory fears the day that I outweigh him...its not too far away :)